Thursday, August 09, 2007

Coach supports stupid freshmen

South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier blasted the school's admissions process, apologizing to two recruits who signed with the Gamecocks last winter and were denied academic entry this summer. Spurrier was angered that the players were cleared by the NCAA to enroll, yet were turned down by the university.

"Hopefully, I truly believe this is the last year this is going to happen, because I can't operate like that," Spurrier said. "I can't operate misleading young men."

Since when was college sports about learning? I thought it was about schools raking in the Benjamins faster than Michael Irvin can snort blow. And kudos to Spurrier for not wanting to be in the business of toying around with teenagers. He should leave that to the professionals. Like Lavernues Coles' step-father.

2 comments:

Chris said...

As a proud graduate of the University of South Carolina, I am desperately trying to understand how my alma mater's academic requirements could possibly be tougher than the NCAA clearinghouse. I love my coach (hated him until the day he was hired) but a quick sniff around the program will show that OBC offered more schollys than he had spots, hoping that 3 or 4 wouldn't qualify and go to JC or grayshirt. (Just like it happened last year) When that didn't happen, he threw the admissions office under the bus.

Anonymous said...

I thought if you can catch a football, they don't care if you can even count to 12.