Thursday, February 15, 2007

T. Hardaway hates gays

One week after retired NBA player John Amaechi publically identified himself as gay, retired Heat guard Tim Hardaway blasted homosexuality on a Miami radio show that he would not want to play with a gay man. Quotes include:

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said Wednesday, according to a transcript on the Miami Herald Web site. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

''First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there's a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don't want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone.''

''Something has to give. And I think the majority of players would ask for him to be traded or they would want to be traded...If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that are upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.''

I am not sure if Hardaway has looked in the mirror lately, but last I saw of him, he was black; And blacks have been discriminated against for pretty much all of mankind. The only thing more ironic than these comments would be seeing John Rocker working in a Harlem soup kitchen.

No comments: