Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Duke is back in the ring

The former Great White Hope, Tommy "The Duke" Morrison has been cleared to box again, more than a decade after he was indefinitely suspended following a positive HIV test on the eve of a 1996 fight in Las Vegas. Morrison was licensed Tuesday by the West Virginia Athletic Commission and will face John Castle of Indianapolis in a four-round bout Thursday night. "It's been a long time coming," Morrison told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "I know I didn't have [HIV] in the first place. I never had it. I believe it, but they kicked me out of the sport. ... Over the last two or three months, I have taken five, six different [HIV] tests and continued to pass them. It was just a matter of time before they had to let me fight again."

Castle is a brave stupid man to get into the ring with Morrison. HIV tests are as foolproof as a Don King contract. Viruses don’t just disappear like Riddick Bowe. Boxing Morrison is like using a springboard after Greg Louganis cracks his scull open on it. If you are going take that risk, you may as well have unprotected sex with the guy. At least that way you might get some enjoyment out of it.

No comments: