Monday, July 16, 2007

Shef damns the man

Detroit Tigers slugger Gary Sheffield was interviewed last week about his time playing with the Yankees. In the interview Sheff claimed that Yankees manager Joe Torre treats black and white players differently.

"[Blacks] weren't treated like everybody else. I got called out in a couple of meetings that I thought were unfair," Sheffield continued. "[If] he had a message to get across to the whole team, he used me to get the message across."

Sheffield said Torre didn't use the same method with white players. "I'd see a lot of white players get called in the office and treated like a man. That's the difference."

At that point, the interviewer pointed out to Sheffield that the Yankees most high-profile player is black. "Who?" Sheffield replied. Told Jeter, Sheffield replied, "Derek Jeter is black and white."

When asked the significance of that, Sheffield said, "It's really no significance. It's just you ain't all the way black."

Sheffield reportedly began the interview by saying: "I tell myself every offseason I'm not going to say anything crazy. I'm just going to have a peaceful season ... Can't do it. I'm cut from a different cloth."

Shef keeps it real. But unless Torre dropped an n-bomb or beat him with a cat o’ nine tails then I just don't care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is just pissed because Torre took the last leg from his KFC bucket.