Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Griffey is a giver

In last Friday's Reds/Dodger's game, a fan seated behind the Reds dugout, was heckling Ken Griffey Jr. all game long on Friday before Griffey turned the tables on him. Matt Schafer, 25, wrote on his MySpace page. "I was going to try and get in Ken Griffey Jr.'s head a little bit. He had to walk right by us to get to the dugout and I just couldn't help myself. So I started with the basics: 'you suck ... shouldn't you be on the D.L. ... too old for center ... that kind of stuff."

Griffey said he was happy to play along. "He was just on me every time I came in," Griffey said. "Him being a little larger than normal, I just asked, 'Shouldn't you be wearing a support bra?"

In the sixth inning, Griffey sent someone back to the Reds clubhouse to fetch the largest athletic supporter he could find; size-XXL athletic supporter (Editors note: this is also my pouch size). The accomplice wrote the number "3" and "JR" on the waistband, and Griffey put the supporter in a brown paper bag, rolled it up and tossed it to Schafer when he ran back onto the field.

"He was like, 'Whoa!'" Griffey told the Cincnnati Enquirer. "I turned around before all that stuff happened, but I could hear that section just laughing. Then I turned around and just saw him twirling it in the air like a helicopter."

"When Griffey came back in, I told him I was sorry about what [I] said about his mom and that I wanted to make up," Schafer wrote on his MySpace page. "He shot me a grin. When he came out in the 8th [inning] he shot me another smile and I told him he still has the greatest swing in baseball. I hope he heard me, I think he did. I love Griffey."

Good thing for Schafer it was the Reds in town and not the Athletics. Becuase if he started to get on Mike Piazza's case, Schafer would have been tossed a hotel room key and a butt plug.

No comments: