Monday, October 22, 2007

How Byrd got Big

After blowing a 3-1 series lead last night with an 11-2 loss to the Red Sox in the ALCS game 7, the Indians have even more controversy to deal with. Before the first pitch, Indians pitcher Paul Byrd acknowledged using human growth hormone for a medical condition, but claims he never injected the banned drug without a doctor's prescription. The San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday he bought nearly US$25,000 worth of HGH and syringes from 2002-05. The Chronicle, citing an anonymous law enforcement source, said two of Byrd's prescriptions for HGH were not written by a physician.

Standing in front of a media throng outside the Indians' clubhouse, Byrd said he has a pituitary gland condition that required him to take HGH. "I have nothing to hide," Byrd said Sunday about two hours before Game 7 of the AL championship series against the Boston Red Sox. "Everything has been done out in the open. I have a reputation. I do not want the fans of Cleveland or honest, caring people to think that I cheated. Because I didn't."

Yeah, I can also say that all of my medications were prescribed by a doctor. How was I supposed to know that the guy on the subway platform with a stethoscope and a notepad wasn't writing legit prescriptions. He seemed very concerned about my well-being. He kept asking me to bend over and cough even though all I wanted was my damn OxyContin.

No comments: